The first mention of the Hampden Association — divided into East and West — is in the Massachusetts General Association meeting, June 28, 1814, though the Hampden Association of Ministers existed prior to then. The formal split of the organization occurred in 1844 with the creation of the East and West Hampden Associations. In 1850, the Hampden Conference of Churches was formed. The associations continued to be listed as the primary components of the General Association through 1864. In 1865, the churches were listed by counties, e.g. Hampden County, rather than by associations. The organization is still in existence today as the Hampden Association, UCC.