The area now known as Charlton was originally within the territory of the Nipmuc Nation, and was temporarily settled by French Huguenots in 1686. The district, a part of Oxford, Mass, was separated from Oxford on January 10, 1755, and incorporated as a town on August 23, 1775.
A church was established in 1761, with Rev. Caleb Curtis as its first pastor. He was dismissed in 1776. After an interval of six years, in 1783, Rev. Archibald Campbell was installed over the church, and continued as pastor until 1793, when he was dismissed. The following minister was Rev. Erastus Larned, settled in 1796. The “Congregational Center Meeting House in Charlton” was opened in 1798. The meeting house featured 100 pews on the main floor and 50 in the balcony.
Later ministers included Rev. Edward Whipple, settled in 1804; Rev. John Wilder, settled in 1827; Rev. William H. Whittemore, settled in 1833; and Isaac R. Barbour, settled in 1836. In 1826, in response to a Unitarian controversy, an Orthodox congregation split away to form the Congregational Calvinistic Church of Christ in Charlton.
This collection contains the church record book dating 1762-1836. The volume includes the church covenant, admissions of new members, records of baptisms, and marriage records.
Materials in this collection have been digitized in partnership with the American Antiquarian Society and have been made available through our New England's Hidden Histories project.