The Congregational church in Topsfield was founded in 1663 under the ministry of Rev. Thomas Gilbert. No records exist from this early period, until those kept by Rev. Joseph Capen from 1684-1742. Congregants constructed a meeting house on the Topsfield common in 1703. This building was replaced twice subsequently, in 1759 and 1842. The church continues to serve the community today as the Congregational Church of Topsfield, a member of the United Church of Christ,
The digital collections consist of two bound volumes of church records, encompassing the period from 1684-1869. These include meeting minutes, admissions and member lists, and listings of baptisms, marriages, and deaths.
Materials in this collection have been digitized in partnership with the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum and have been made available through our New England's Hidden Histories project.