The Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, also known as the South Church, was established in 1858 by 49 former members of the First Congregational Church in Marblehead due to a protracted fight over the installation of Rev. Benjamin R. Allen in 1854. Those 49 members had wished to install a more orthodox minister and they envisioned that their new church would adhere more with the tenants of “Evangelical Faith and Practice.” Due to the creation of the Third Church, the First Church underwent a name change and became the Old North Church. Plans for the construction of a new church building to house to newly formed church also began in 1858 and in 1860 the new building was dedicated. The first pastor of the church was Rev. T. D. P. Stone who was installed on August 31, 1864. Prior to Rev. Stone’s installation, a series of interim ministers preached at the church. The church remained active until 1877 when a fire completely destroyed the church building. Following the destruction of their building, the members of the Third Church decided to reform with the Old North Church.