Browse the South Farms Church records in Litchfield, Connecticut
The Church at South Farms, Litchfield, Connecticut was gathered in 1768, a year after the South Farms parish of Litchfield was organized and the church society formed. They called their first pastor, George Beckwith, and ordained him in 1772. Several pastors followed Rev. Beckwith at the church, among them Rev. Amos Chase, Rev. Amos Pettengill, Rev. Ralph S. Compton, and Rev. David L. Parmelee, a native son of Litchfield. In 1859 South Farms of Litchfield became the town of Morris and the church became known as Morris Congregational Church. The church is still active today and is a member of the United Church of Christ.
All of the digital records below deal with a disciplinary case against the church's first minister, Rev. George Beckwith. Rev. Beckwith had served the church for 10 years before conflict with his congregation resulted in calls for an ecclesiastical council in 1781. Ultimately Rev. Beckwith was ousted from his position as pastor at the council's recommendation, after being found guilty of several offenses including pastoral negligence and "lasciviously attempting female chastity".