The First Church of Worcester, Mass., was organized in 1716. The first meetinghouse was erected in 1719, and the Rev. Andrew Gardner (1691-1773) was installed as the first minister.
In 1785, a segment of the membership broke away due to a dispute over the selection of Rev. Dr. Aaron Bancroft (1755-1839) as minister. The new church was incorporated in 1787 as the Second Congregational Church, or Second Parish, in Worcester under the ministry of Rev. Bancroft. Later, it became known as the First Unitarian Church. The original meetinghouse, built in 1791, was destroyed by fire in 1849 and rebuilt in 1851.
This collection contains two volumes from the Second Church and its associated parish: church records dating 1785-1850, and parish records for the period 1789-1802.