The General Association of Connecticut was a collection of regional groups within Connecticut formed to advocate and facilitate the communion of churches and ministers. Because most of the groups formed while Connecticut was still a colony, the local groups predate the larger statewide conference. The earliest meeting was held in Hartford County in 1709. The locations of their meetings would change yearly, switching between the various counties. The General Association incorporated multiple county churches from places like Hartford, New London, Fairfield, Tolland, Middlesex, Litchfield and Windham.
In the time of the Great Awakening, the General Association served as a place to discuss and debate questions or concerns. In 1798, some members founded the Missionary Society of Connecticut, which was officially recognized by the General Association to advance the Christianization of the newly independent United States. At the turn of the 19th century, the General Association began to have its auxiliary units absorbed into the new Congregational Christian Conference of Connecticut. By 1867, the General Association also became a part of the Conference, which held its first annual meeting in 1867. This group remained until 1957, when the current Connecticut Conference of the UCC was formed.