The Congregational Church of Wendell was formed in Wendell, Mass. in 1774. The first meetinghouse was built in 1783, and a second in 1846. Throughout the collection the church is referred to by several names, including Church of Christ, First Church, Central Congregational Church in Wendell, and the Congregational Church of Wendell. The Trustees of the Ministerial Fund of the First Congregational Society in Wendell were incorporated in 1823 to carry out their function for the church. A copy of the articles of their incorporation is pasted inside the front cover of their minute book. In 1874, the church and the town of Wendell celebrated their centennial with a joint event.
Even though the church was relatively small throughout its history, the Congregational Church of Wendell contributed to domestic and foreign missions, including mission work in China. The church belonged to the Franklin Association of Congregational Churches and worked closely with the Massachusetts Home Missionary Society to call and fund its ministers. The Congregational Church of Wendell joined the United Church of Christ in 1964 and closed in 2004.
The digital collections below include a bound volume of church records dating from 1783-1847, which includes meeting minutes and membership and vital records of the congregation. There is also a bound treasury book for the church (1822-1838) containing financial information.