In 1838, a group of thirty, known as the "Christian Band", signed a covenant to organize a church community in the village of Pottersville in Somerset, Massachusetts. The covenant led, in November 1840, to the construction of a meetinghouse. On May 26, 1841, a ceremony was held for the dedication of the new meetinghouse and its acceptance into the Christian denomination. Later that year William Shurtleff was called to be the first pastor of the religious society known as the First Christian Union Society in Somerset, Massachusetts.
It was not until 1911 that the First Christian Church, as it came to be known, was incorporated under the laws of Massachusetts. In 1939, a vote was taken to change the name to the Congregational Christian Church of Somerset Centre. The church is still active today as the Congregational Christian Church of Somerset and has been a member of the United Church of Christ since 1957.